Founded by Naperville North High School alumni Adi Ramachandran and Sarah Zhou, Juniper College Prep is a camp that helps high school students prepare for the college application process. Specifically, Juniper focuses on the essay component.
From personal experience, we know how confusing and nerve-wracking the essay can be. What do I want my essay to convey about me? Should I write about a big achievement or a quiet revelation? Should my tone be funny or contemplative? Am I focusing too much on narrative? On imagery? And what is this prompt asking me, really? All of these swirling questions can make it seem nearly impossible to write a good essay, let alone one that’ll move an admissions officer.
Fortunately, there is good news: writing an essay doesn’t have to feel that way! In fact, Juniper strives to provide students the tools and guidance necessary to produce dynamic, compelling essays that are sure to shine in any application pile. With our team of talented mentors, we first introduce students to the college application process and the different types of essays. Then, we guide students through the essay-writing process from the very first seeds of an idea to the last touch-ups on a final draft. To this end, our camp includes:
- An in-depth look at different types of college essays
- Guidance in brainstorming and refining ideas
- Detailed multi-draft feedback
- Lessons on various aspects of narrative essay-writing, including tone, diction, personal voice, and narrative cohesion
- Example essays that have been accepted by Top 20 Colleges, including schools within the Ivy League
- Guest speakers on the college application process and the college experience
- One-on-one mentorship, with a maximum mentor-to-student ratio of 1:3
With these tools, as well as the guidance of our talented mentors, your essays are sure to stand out from the crowd! If you’re interested in joining us this summer, head on over to the Details page for more specifics.